Monday, March 16, 2009

How Poe got her name

When we adopted Poe her name was Jasmine. We quickly realized that this little charmer was going to need something a little more unique and started brainstorming. My husband is an english teacher and apparently in my sleep I told him that he could name our next dog.


Going on a literature theme we tried Juliet, Raven, and Puck. She didn't respond to a single name. Not even Jasmine even though she had that name for about 2-3 months at that time. My DH has always been an Edgar Allan Poe fan. He has always wanted to name a female border collie "Poe". When I ever pictured a Poe I had a mental image of a small, intense, dark border collie with upright ears in a classic border collie crouch. I did not picture this:





I made a deal that if she responded we could keep it. So far the dog was only responding to "spastic little shit" at this point so I figured I was safe and we would keep looking. "Spastic little shit" was dozing in her crate when DH said "Hi Poe!". Well let me tell you. "Spastic little shit" jumped up, eyes bright, ears up. She started wiggling and dancing, licking the bars on her crate. Every time we said Poe we got the same reaction.

So Poe she became.

It took us about 2 states later to finally make the leap that Poe sounds just like No. As crazy as she was I'm sure she got "NO!" yelled at her so much that she probably thought her name was No. She was probably thinking "Hey, these freaks know my name...No!".

So yes.....Poe kept her name and will respond to Poe and No with the same enthusiam.

"Hi my name is No, No, Bad dog, what's your name?"

4 comments:

  1. :) I love Poe. That's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's adorable! I love her name - it totally fits her personality!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had the realization about 'No' sounding too much like the dogs name Leo too. Oops :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really funny! She's a babe alright. Poe or Spastic litte shit. :)

    ReplyDelete