After 7 weeks, Poe has graduated from Basic Obedience. She did pretty well in class and rightfully earned the title Class Clown. Just a brief run down of her antics:
- Wrapped herself in her leash like a present
- Hogtied me to her with her leash
- Stole her practice "leave it" cookie every class
- Stole the other dog's "leave it" cookie
- Drooled on the floor during stay exercises
- When confused her default behavior was to spin on her hind legs like a ballerina
- Jumped all over the trainers
- Started holding on to the trainers' legs when they ignored her jumping
- Wrapped her paws around the trainers' leg and held on while they walked away
- Stole the entire plastic bag full of cut up hot dog bits and ran around the room
- I'm sure there are more but post-traumatic amnesia has set in
Poe loved class. She loved the challenge, she loved making a scene, she loved seeing new people. She did very well and has come a long way from the dog that jumped on my dining room table the day she came home. Wait. She did that last week. Never mind.
And major props to the trainers. They never got frustrated, they enjoyed her zest for life and helped me realize that even with manners, crazy will always be crazy. They recognized that her enthusiasm is a gift and we should harness it, not fight it.
So Poesy is moving up to intermediate and was recommended for a tricks class. Yup, poesy will be turning tricks.
And surprisingly enough, she has NOT eaten her diploma.